Sunday, November 26, 2017

Fall to Layout #44- Take Two

Happy Sunday!



Here's this week's sketch.



In addition to the dimensions, I also have a few tips, but I'll start with the measurements I used first:

Card Base: 4-1/4 x 5-1/2
Red Frame Layer: 3-3/8 x 4-5/8
Base Pattern: 2-1/4 x 4-1/4
Scallop: 1/2 x 3-1/4
Sentiment Layer: 1-1/2 x 3-1/4
Middle Layer (note I made this bigger and adhered the bottom pattern on top because the patterned paper is thinner than the cardstock): 3 x 3-1/4
Pattern 2: 1-1/2 x 3-1/4

In my original sketch, the intent was not to have the 3 panels be the same size, but I found that worked nicely here- so each panel is 1-1/2 x 3-1/4

Now, for my tips:

  1. Decide on your patterned paper first- but try and pick two sheets that are from the same line or that coordinate nicely.
  2. In order to achieve a mostly clean and simple look, make sure these patterns aren't too busy either-  (like how I went with dots and stripes and how this product line has 4-5 colours in it).
  3. Complete the other card elements by pulling out the colours from these patterned papers to bring it all together.
  4. If necessary, bring in another neutral- like for my card, the paper itself uses Very Vanilla. I wanted a neutral card base, so I decided on Kraft. I thought white may clash with the Vanilla tones. A darker brown may have also worked here. If I had decided on dark brown, I would have tied that back into the panel piece too- probably doing the sentiment in that same colour.


Once again, this card was unintentionally old school. I was feeling a bit Christmas and started going through my patterned paper stash. I pulled out this classic Stampin' Up paper (I believe it was called Dashing). I found two pieces that weren't too busy and pulled the colours out- Very Vanilla, Real Red, Old Olive, and River Rock (I realize now I could have also used Certainly Celery).

Next, I found a stamp set that had also had a Christmas theme that would work to add the three smaller circular-ish elements. I found this discontinued gel-a-tins set, Merry and Bright and used three of the ornaments. I stamped those in my chosen colours on Very Vanilla and cut them out. The sentiment comes from a retired Papertrey Ink set- Monthly Moments: December.

Because of how I layered the one panel of patterned paper directly on the River Rock, I needed to bring in something to create separation. Because I hadn't yet used any ribbon (like the sketch features), I decided to use a touch of red and white baker's twine here. I have to say, I was quite pleased with how it all came together!




Something I like to do once I've finished a "take two" is go back and look at my original card. I thought it was funny that I decided on a Kraft base for that one too! Check it out here! It's also interesting to see what dimensions I chose 8.5 years ago!

If you play along, please leave a link! If you use the suggested tips and measurements, this card cane come together quite easily!







2 comments:

  1. This is too adorable! I absolutely love this sketch and your creative creation.

    ReplyDelete